DEPAUL UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF LAW
- Licensure: State of Illinois, Northern District of Illinois
- Juris Doctorate (February 1995)
- Certificate in Health Law (February 1995)
- Journal of Health and Hospital Law-Writer/Casenote Editor (August 1992-May 1993)
- American Medical Association-Legal Extern (August 1994-December 1994)Assisted legislative attorneys in the Division of Federal Legislation by summarizing legislation and bills, researching existing laws, determining status of pending legislation, and drafting letters reflecting the AMA’s position on various health and safety issues.
- Center for Conflict Resolution-Mediator (August 1993-December 1993)Mediated cases in Housing Court between landlords and tenants through DePaul University College of Law’s Mediation Program.
UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS AT URBANA-CHAMPAIGN
Bachelor of Arts, Sociology (May 1984)
MOTHER McAULEY HIGH SCHOOL (1976-1980)
METROPOLITAN WATER RECLAMATION DISTRICT OF GREATER CHICAGO (District)-Principal Attorney (July 2012 to Present)
- User Charge and Enforcement Division (August 2018-Present) Represent the District in state and federal courts and at administrative hearings against District’s industrial users for violations of the District’s Sewage and Waste Control Ordinance and User Charge Ordinance; represent the District in state court regarding breach of contract matters; draft policies, counsel and advise the District’s various departments to ensure compliance with state and federal law, regulatory agencies, and the District’s ordinances.
- Real Estate Division (October 2017-August 2018) Drafted leases, easements, and permits and their amendments, prepared bid documents to lease District property, attended bid openings, reviewed bid packages, drafted technical memos, and Board transmittal letters.
- Employment Division (July 2012-October 2017) Represented the District at Civil Service Board meetings for discharge hearings, disciplinary actions, and employee grievances; represented the District in employment discrimination court and before administrative bodies; negotiated settlements, drafted and argued dispositive motions; drafted opinions requiring interpretation and application of employment law; drafted and reviewed employment polices to ensure compliance with city, state, and federal laws; developed relationships with the legal community and public officials to protect the District’s interests and promote its mission and values.
- Environmental, Contracts, and Torts Division (July 2012-October 2017) Represented the District in state court regarding tort, breach of contract, and construction matters; drafted legal opinions on various environmental policies and legislation, drafted and reviewed legislation; drafted and negotiated intergovernmental agreements, drafted policies, counseled and advised the District’s various departments to ensure compliance with state and federal laws, regulatory agencies, and the District’s ordinances.
CHICAGO HOUSING AUTHORITY (CHA)-Assistant General Counsel II (June 1998 to July 2012)
- Housing Policy and Legislation (May 2008-July 2012) Drafted legal memoranda regarding public housing issues; developed policies and procedures that guided operations of the CHA; analyzed and developed CHA positions on proposed state and federal legislation; responded to FOIA requests by supervising staff in relevant departments and gathering documents, reviewed documents for responsiveness to request, responded to FOIA appeals to Office of Illinois Attorney General;
- Litigation Division (August 2000-May 2008) Represented the CHA in tort and commercial litigation, and housing discrimination in state and federal courts; drafted and answered complaints and discovery, took and defended depositions, drafted and argued dispositive motions, evaluated and negotiated cases for settlement.
- Corporate Counseling and Contracts Division (June 1998-August 2000) Drafted and reviewed contracts between the CHA and various vendors; reviewed contracts for conformity to HUD guidelines; drafted legal opinions for the General Counsel, CHA departments, and housing management.
- Illinois Supreme Court-Chief Justice Charles Freeman-Judicial Clerk (June 1997-June 1998) Researched legal issues raised on appeal and drafted judicial opinions, concurrences and dissents; reviewed and made recommendations on petitions for leave to appeal and petitions for rehearing; reviewed, analyzed and made recommendations to the Chief Justice on circulating opinions by other Supreme Court justices.
- Illinois Appellate Court, First Judicial District-Justice William Cousins, Jr. Judicial Clerk (February 1995-June 1997) Researched legal issues raised on appeal and drafted judicial opinions and orders on all areas of the law.
- Office of the Cook County Public Defender-Appellate Division-Law Clerk (July 1992-February 1995) Researched criminal issues in preparation for appeals for visually-impaired Assistant Public Defender.
- UIC JOHN MARSHALL LAW SCHOOL-Adjunct Professor (August 2012-Present) Teach appellate practice, motion practice, and legal drafting through the law school’s Lawyering Skills Program.
- THE LEGAL WRITING CONNECTION–Business Co-Owner (2020-Present) Provide individual and group legal writing assessments, counseling, and seminars to attorneys at law firms and in-house governmental attorneys.
- “Why Non-Minorities Should Care About Diversity in the Legal Profession” Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, July 8, 2013
BAR ASSOCIATION MEMBERSHIPS
- Asian American Bar Association
- Black Women’s Lawyer Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Cook County Bar Association/Sub-committee member of Lawyers in the Community
- The Decalogue Society/Sub-committee member of Anti-Semitism Committee
- Women’s Bar Association of Illinois-Featured: Member Monday-March 1, 2021
- Chicago Volunteer Legal Services-Pro bono Attorney (2010-2011) Represented homeowners at foreclosure mediations.
- ENGLEWOOD COMMUNITY HEALTH ORGANIZATION-Mental Health Specialist II (August 1988-July 1992) Provided individual, group, and family counseling; developed individualized client treatment plans, advocated for clients at juvenile court proceedings, facilitated parenting skills workshops.
- ST. HELENA OF THE CROSS SCHOOL-Teacher (September 1986-June 1987) Taught pre-readiness skills to kindergarten students.
- GOOD SHEPHARD MOVEMENT-English Teacher (July 1985-July 1986) Taught conversational English to children and adults.
- From High School Through Law School: The Journey to Becoming a Lawyer-March 2021-Morgan Park High School
- Covid-19 Vaccine Scams-February 2021-19th Ward Town Hall Meeting
- Voter Suppression and Intimidation-November 2020-Presentation for the University of Chicago Roundtable Discussions
- The Importance of African-Americans’ Participation in the Census-February 2020-Ida B. Wells Legacy Foundation
- Voting in the Age of Covid-Moderator-September 2020-NAACP Chicago Southside Branch Presentation
- The Effects of Marijuana on Teens-Moderator-2019-NAACP Southside Branch Presentation
- Resource Recovery at the MWRD-Panelist-2017-National Association of Clean Water Agencies
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP Chicago Southside Branch) (2016-Present)-Second Vice President and Chair of the Political Action Committee-Advocate for the political, educational, social, and economic rights of people of color.
- League of Women Voters-(2021) Member-a non-partisan political organization encouraging informed and active participation in government, influencing public policy through education and advocacy.
- South Siders for Peace-(2015-Present) Member-brings the message of justice and peace to South Side of Chicago by having protests, vigils, and marches to bring attention to social, racial, economic inequalities.
PRIVATE ORGANIZATION MEMBERSHIP: The Beverly Hills Tennis Club